Saturday, June 28, 2008

Making Memories...The Australian Way/ March 2008

My grandparents (mom's parents) met in Australia. He was in the service and she an authentic Aussie. They married and had my mother. She was raised in Australia until she was 3 and then they relocated back to the states. My great-grandparents owned a bakery and my grandmother helped with the family business for many years. As a result, she developed an incredible ability to bake pretty much anything you could imagine. I have very fond memories from the time I was maybe 6 or so of helping my grandmother with the baking and then enjoying licking the beaters and the bowl--most of which would end up all over my face. My favorites were pies and pasties--which my great-grandparents made and sold in their bakery. I'm not exactly sure why we've never made them before this year. I think we've always said, "Nobody can make them like Nana did!" So..nobody tried. Well, the girls and I and their Nana finally attempted them and they were excellent--just as I remembered. Amazing how food can bring back so many fond memories of my growing-up years.


Making the dough..I think one reason we never made these was because my Nana and her family used lard. That sort of scared us away...Yuk! That's what made the pastry so good--we use shortening instead.


Hamburger, chopped potaoes, carrots, onions and salt and pepper-very simple but after they are baked so yummy smothered with ketchup!

Putting them together...



This was the first time so we were rather ambitious. We made 165 of them and it took us the better part of 2 days.


Great memories with more to come...

0 comments: